Dynamic Mesh Painting in Unreal Engine 4 | Ray Wenderlich

In this Unreal Engine 4 tutorial, you will learn how to paint colors onto any type of mesh.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.raywenderlich.com/6817-dynamic-mesh-painting-in-unreal-engine-4

Hi, Tommy.

Maybe do you know how to blend colors on the adjacent edges of materials for smooth transition?

@tommytran Can you please help with this when you get a chance? Thank you - much appreciated! :]

Instead of providing colors to the Lerp, you can provide textures or materials (the material should be stored in a material function or created using the MakeMaterialAttributes node).

@tommytran the problem is I have 124 materials with only color parameter, which changing in runtime. I think I can make texture from color but afraid that SM5 model doesn’t support much samples(

Unfortunately, I’m not aware of any methods to swap material “layers” at runtime. There is the experimental material layering feature but the last time I checked, did not support dynamic layers. You can read more about why this is in the feedback thread.

Hi Tommy, your lessons great,thank you for such lessons!
I have one question it is related to your lesson about the muffin and animation, there I want to zoom the camera but I can’t do it.
I will be very grateful if you can help me.

@tommytran Can you please help with this when you get a chance? Thank you - much appreciated! :]

Thanks for the lesson it helped a lot with understanding the technique.

I noticed that when I reduced the brush size some areas, such as the upper chest, become unpaintable.
Do you know the cause of this? Could it the result of collision detection or maybe the unwrappig process?

can you make a tutorial for Ability System? thanks a lot.

Hi cynobill,

Visualizing the line traces, it seems like all traces are hitting. No difference with trace complex either. My guess is the mesh’s unwrap although I still wouldn’t rule out bad collision. It could also possibly be an issue with skeletal meshes as trying with a sphere static mesh seems to work fine.

Unfortunately I don’t have much time at the moment to debug the issue. If you find the cause, let me know!

Thanks for the suggestion! I’ll add it to the list although there’s no guarantee that we’ll be able to do one anytime soon.

This tutorial is more than six months old so questions are no longer supported at the moment for it. Thank you!