Kodeco Forums

Dependency Management Using Git Submodules

In this Dependency Management tutorial you'll learn how to use Git Submodules to manage both internal and external dependencies for your project.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.raywenderlich.com/690-dependency-management-using-git-submodules
1 Like

Thanks so much for the tutorial! I like that I have a more basic understanding of what is happening than with Cocoapods and Carthage.

I do have one issue. I tried adding a framework in a different project, and it won’t work unless I add the framework to the embed binaries section. Otherwise, the app builds, but on the phone, it crashes after the launch screen because it can’t find the framework.

Any settings I need to make sure are checked for it to work without embedding the binary?

Thanks.

Thanks for the response Matt! What am I missing here, isn’t it expected that you’d need to embed the external binary if you add it to the project as a dependency?

Yep, I just missed the step where I needed to embed the binaries, in the section right above linking them that you can see in the gif. Worked in the simulator without embedding them, but not on device. Thanks again, and keep up the good work!

I just clone the repo. As I can see you have added Alamofire in PhotoTagger(the main module) as well as in ImaggaRouter(submodule). So do we have to add the common repo(core module) having my custom extensions, utility, wrappers, network manager, core data etc in all the submodules to access those from submodules and in main modules? What will be the best why to split it?

This tutorial is more than six months old so questions are no longer supported at the moment for it. We will update it as soon as possible. Thank you! :]