Demystifying Views in iOS | raywenderlich.com

Learn to organize your app ideas and designs in ways that work well with the latest versions of UIKit and Interface Builder. Eradicate View and View Controller confusion!

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.raywenderlich.com/4518-demystifying-views-in-ios

I’m feeling a little dense in this particular course (decidedly not demystified :frowning:) , and I’m wondering if there’s an unusual jump in expertise level for this course in the learning track, or if there’s something I’m missing prior to the course? You and Catie generally do an awesome job of explaining the “why” behind what’s going on, but I find myself struggling to understand what the code I’m building is doing as I’m building it, and why I’m building it. As I say, I’ve been a bit wobbly throughout the first chunk on Nib Files, but now that I’ve started the UINib chapter, I’ve gone right off the rails and I’m basically just typing what you folks are typing without getting it, so I need to reset.

I’ve done the complete Swift learning track up until this point, is there something I might be able to refresh myself on in order to shake the cobwebs off and better follow what’s going on again here?

Based on some other feedback for this course, we know we’ll need to add some more upfront diagrams of exactly what we’re going to build, before we do it. That will go into the next revision, but until then, feel free to ask anything you need to, either here or in a private message to me. Hopefully the exchange will give you clarity, and let us know where to focus when we do the update.

We tried to stick to the learning path, in terms of where to explain new concepts, and where to not bother reiterating. If there’s anything confusing, we can change the balance, but we can also add more to other courses to support this one. That’s generally a better idea: splitting up concepts that can be explained in a single video or so, in earlier courses, so when viewing a course like this where you create a complete app, we can focus on tying those together with bigger concepts that require a lot of parts (like nibs!).

Thanks for the prompt reply! I’m going to go back to chapter 1 and try it all again in case some of my confusion came from being caffeine-deprived myself, and I’ll post any specific questions that come up along the way. Much appreciated!

1 Like

Just wanted to say that I’m also a bit mystified by this course. A lot of it feels like I’m just typing code without any idea why. Looking forward to the revised version - is there an ETA for that?

We’ll be updating it later this year, incorporating the feedback we’ve received, and any new iOS 13 features that would make sense.

1 Like

Thanks for this course. I was always intrigued with NIBs and their relationship to Views and View Controllers. This course sets it straight. The way I approached this course is by first downloading your completed project for each section and trying to analyze it on my own BEFORE listening to your video. This has helped my because I was also to connect what I didn’t know with the videos.

I hope this helps for ppl here.

Thanks again for this excellent work!!!

2 Likes

@i.mudasir Really glad you liked it! Cheers! :]

I have to add my voice, too, to say that I’m blindly following commands and not learning much so far. I don’t doubt the information is correct, but not a very good course from a “learn new things” perspective.

I ended up learning about how to create Views thorough Code and Nibs from another tutorial on weheartswift. This tutorial seemed a little rushed through and the reason was both the complex project that was picked for this lesson and the amount of material that was squeezed in this short tutorial. probably having a simpler sample project scoped to be focused only on how Views work would be much more helpful to understand the topic. I found the parts about adding animation and masked Images to cards and all other fancy visual effects to be a little distracting considering there is already another tutorial to learn about animation in swift. Anyways thanks for making this tutorial and I hope the next version is going to address this issue and be as good as the other tutorials in this iOS path.

1 Like

@hamidra @vanoosbree Thank you for your feedback - much appreciated! We will definitely take it into account when we update the course. Thanks again!

Hi guys.You guys are doing a fantastic job.I have learnt a lot from the tutorials.Having said that ,this particular module was a bit tough even for an experienced programmer like me.I have do to lot of browsing to understand the concepts.Take for example, container view, it could have been easily explained by taking a fairly straight forward example .
Regards
Manish

Thanks for the content and appreciate the knowledge contribution. The course started with good title and Introduction but right after the Introduction, this had lost the track. All I felt was, hurry, urgency, wrap things up quickly. Going forward, the explanation lost its agenda why we are doing this after all, what’s happening behind this, when should we use required init, awakeFromNib(). I hope you take this feedback and come up with a roadmap that starts simple, adds medium complex content and proceed to advanced concepts. So that conclusion can also be like a start and destination.

1 Like

@manish_manipal1 Thank you for the heads up - much appreciated!

@akdubbas Thank you for your feedback - much appreciated!

I almost never tried to work with storyboards or xibs, doing layout in code, and after that course i think that i’ll be better keep that way, too much mess and questions that need to answer and was unanswered:
What exactly file owner? What is view lifecycle working with xibs?

Even though i have about 3+ years of iOS development i was kind of struggled with that one, maybe because i typically work with layout in code, without trying to use Storyboards or Nibs.

You guys better keep pace slowly and explaining each step carefully, i felt like an urgency race and just copy paste with no idea what is going on.

@necrosoft Thank you for your feedback - much appreciated!

Looking forward to see if this material will indeed be updated as intended. Was originally very excited by the title of this tutorial, as it is really hard to find advanced tutorials on UI. Unfortunately, I was let down by the structure and confusing nature of this tutorial, as many have stated. The material wasn’t broken down as I expected and I also found myself blindly just writing code down. I am excited to see if an update is still in the works! Thanks!

@seanperez29 Thank you for your feedback - much appreciated!