Demystifying Views in iOS · Creating Nib Files | raywenderlich.com

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.raywenderlich.com/4518-demystifying-views-in-ios/lessons/2

Hey Catie,

I would love to do this tutorial, but when I opened up the started project, the CardView folder is red. Can I just create a new CardView Folder and put a CardView xib inside of it?

thanks!

@catie Can you please help with this when you get a chance? Thank you - much appreciated! :]

Hey! Yes, that will work.

Sorry about that! I’ll try to fix up the starter project for anyone else trying to follow along :]

I’ve successfully added the CardView folder and the Image Views, but I’m getting different behavior than in your video. I’m using XCode 10.1 (Release version).
First I couldn’t see the document outline - seems you have to do Editor/Show Document Outline, then widen it to appear like the video. Bur I can’t find a way to Edit the name of the Image View. Double clicking doesn’t do it. I’ve been able to set the image to texture yellow and set the other items, but I can’t rename either Image Views. I’ve also got something showing as Safe Area in the hierarchy which isn’t visible in your video.
What is this and is this a problem?

@catie Do you have any feedback about this? Thank you - much appreciated! :]

Hi! When I click “Clip to bounds” nothing happens (in your vid the view immediately shows up with rounded corners, in my case - nothing happens). I did everything step by step as you explained in the video. I’m running Xcode 10.1. Can you help with that?

Okay, so I found a solution for this. The Designables build was failing because it could not find source files. Well, restarting Xcode twice caused it to fix itself and now rounded corners appear as they should.

@paulpela Thank you for sharing the solution - much appreciated! :]

Where is the mask variable coming from in the didSet method?

Hi sanders!

mask is a property of UIView.

One way to find that out is to option-click on mask, then select Open in Developer Documentation.

1 Like

Ahh it showed up as white in Xcode and not the green color in dark mode temporarily. Thx.

1 Like

This video is shit. It doesn’t explain anything, am I supposed to just follow along when I have no freaking idea what any of that stuff means?

@souhailchabat Please let us know what you don’t understand exactly when you get a chance. Thank you!

@catie

Hi Catie,

I’m going through the lesson but I am unable to shift drag the imageview on top of the main view. I’m using Xcode Version 11.1 (11A1027). Do you know why this could be? Or is there any solution to this?

Cheers,
Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

Are you referring to 2:13? If so, that’s not a shift-drag. Shift only comes in after drag release, in order to multi-select.

You guys speak way fast than anyone else in team, Making it really hard to grasp anything, even when I have little bit pre-knowledge of same, specially with @catie. Please improve this. You guys are teachers, you are supposed to teach us instead it just feels like showing your skills only, almost every tutorial done by you guys is ruined for me… Really bad experience… :frowning::frowning::persevere::persevere:

@ghostana Thank you for your feedback - much appreciated!