Data & Data Types | raywenderlich.com

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.raywenderlich.com/5429634-saving-data-in-ios/lessons/5

I have no idea where to get help using your tutorials so I’m trying here.

I’m watching this video now and trying to follow along with the provided downloads. The sample code is in a Swift file, Contents.swift and there is also a contents.xcplayground file but neither open as a Swift playground which is obviously what I was expecting. What am I doing wrong?

Would you be able to post a screenshot of what you’re seeing in order to better troubleshoot things? :slight_smile:

I had the same problem, I’m certain its a noob thing. Not knowing how to open the project files in playground versus in project mode. The videos do not show the process of downloading the files and opening them in such a way that we would be active in the playground as the video portrays.

스크린샷 2021-03-20 오전 2.56.45 스크린샷 2021-03-20 오전 2.58.53

I had the same problem. When I open the file with ‘.xcworkspace’ extension, then I can not see the syntax highlight. Then same thing happen even opening with .swift file.

You solve the problem?

There seems to be some differences in the new course materials, available in GitHub, versus the previously available materials.

A workaround for this, as you have mentioned, is to create a new playground and bring these contents into your new playground manually.

Thanks for discovering this, I’ll reach out to the team to see if we can take care of that :slight_smile:

CC @shogunkaramazov who should we reach out to in order to see about having the original materials in GitHub that work correctly as playgrounds? :slight_smile:

@jellodiil Can you please help with this when you get a chance? Thank you - much appreciated! :]

The Swift Playgrounds in earlier lessons where .playground files. These are all .xcplayground files (which I’m assuming is an older Playground format).

Unfortunately as other have pointed out, newer versions of Xcode do not recognize the new formats and basically don’t work. Makes trying to follow along nearly impossible. Unless one wants to create a new playground each time and import the sources from the included.

It appears this has been a know issue for quite some now (which is even more unfortunate for those of us that have paid to follow along).