Core Data with UIPicker

I’m working on trying to use Core Data to populate a dropdown list. A couple of things I wasn’t sure of though. I am trying to create a “Game” or “Fixture” for my teams. So this screen lists, what date this game is happening, who I’m playing against and which one of my teams are playing in this game.

Here is some of my code:

override func viewDidLoad() {
    super.viewDidLoad()
    // add input view for date
    self.pickerView = UIPickerView()
    pickerView.showsSelectionIndicator = true
    pickerView.delegate = self
    // load date for UIPicker
    let fetchRequest = NSFetchRequest(entityName: "Team")
    let sort = NSSortDescriptor(key: "name", ascending: true)
    fetchRequest.sortDescriptors = [sort]
    do {
        teamUIpickerArray = try (managedObjectContext.executeFetchRequest(fetchRequest) as? [Team])!

// success ...
    } catch let error as NSError {
        // failure
        print("Fetch failed: \(error.localizedDescription)")
    }
    teamNameTextField.inputView = pickerView
    teamNameTextField.inputAccessoryView = toolBarSetUp()   
}

I also added in the PickerView Methods

// The number of columns of data
func numberOfComponentsInPickerView(pickerView: UIPickerView) -> Int {
    return 1
}

// The number of rows of data
func pickerView(pickerView: UIPickerView, numberOfRowsInComponent component: Int) -> Int {

if teamNameTextField.isFirstResponder(){
        return teamUIpickerArray.count
    }
    return 1
}

// The data to return for the row and component (column) that's being passed in
func pickerView(pickerView: UIPickerView, titleForRow row: Int, forComponent component: Int) -> String? {

return teamUIpickerArray   [row]
    }
    return nil
}

func pickerView(pickerView: UIPickerView, didSelectRow row: Int, inComponent component: Int) {

teamNameTextField.text = teamUIpickerArray[row]
    }
}

The Team is a relation in this “Game” model. The last two picker functions both fail with

Type [Team]! Has no subscript members.

So a couple of things for me were, I wasn’t sure why this was failing and what is wrong? I assumed that I would have to make is teamUIpickerArray.name[row] so that my UIPicker would display the name of the team this game is for. But that doesn’t seem possible.

And a follow on, how when I select a certain team in the UIPicker, do I let xcode know that I am saving the Team Object (as a relation) and not just the Team.name “String”. Hope that makes sense?

What does the definition of teamUIpickerArray look like? Hopefully something like

var teamUIPickerArray : [Team] = []

I am curious why numberOfRowsInComponent always returns 1 when teamNameTextField is not first responder. Isn’t it possible that there could be no team names, causing the picker delegate methods to try and access an invalid index?

Hi @aeberbach

I have it as: var teamUIpickerArray: [Team]! but, your definition is more correct definitely. Yes I think you’re correct, that also looks to be an oversight on my part. What should the return statement be for if teamNameTextField.isFirstResponder() if it is false in the numberOfRowsInComponent as the method expects an Int to be returned?

My concern was that if you return 1 but the actual number is 0, the methods that populate the picker will attempt to access element 0 of your array when it doesn’t exist. If there is no team available then I think you should return 0.

Ahh, Ok, that makes sense. Thanks :slight_smile:

What are your thoughts on the other parts of my question, I’m still getting used to iOS/Swift

This declaration of teamUIPickerArray declares an empty array of Team objects. I think if you have this then you will be able to do teamUIPickerArray[0] and other subscripts. Is that working?