Confusion with Swift Apprentice 5th edition page 431

“In the previous section, you learned how to associate stored and computed properties with instances of a particular type. The properties on your instance of TV are separate from the properties on my instance of TV.

However, the type itself may also need properties that are common across all instances. These properties are called type properties.”

First block of senteces are kinda clear but second part is like its shouldn’t suppose to be there.

From where “itself” and in italics came from that may also need properties ?

Why word “however” is there and what it has to do with the context ?

Can someone explain ?

If “type itself” means “type struct Tv” then it should be specified to which type author refers to … or its confusing does it mean type itself … i.e new type called itself or type struct Tv which was in previous example.

thanks

p.s. English is not my second language.

Update: Page442

"Only when you ask for the circumference property is pi calculated and assigned a value.”

Sorry but who is constructing sentences like this ? Google translate ?

Another interesting sentence:
“You already Self (spelled with an uppercase S) in the last chapter as a way to access static properties from inside a struct."
Page 454

Another one:
"At present, you could offer any type at all as the kept Animal, even something nonsensically unlike an animal, like a String or Int.”
Page 659

"However, the type itself may also need properties that are common across all instances. These properties are called type properties.”

IMO, “Type itself” here means “not any instance of that type”, but “the type itself”.

"Only when you ask for the circumference property is pi calculated and assigned a value.”

I understand it like so: Pi is calculated and a value assigned to it only when you ask for the circumference property.

This topic was automatically closed after 166 days. New replies are no longer allowed.