Command Line Basics - Part 11: Customizing | Ray Wenderlich Videos

Get a feel for what it's like to edit config files in Bash and how you can bend the system to your will.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.raywenderlich.com/4729-command-line-basics/lessons/11

You didn’t specify how to set the highlight color used for the grep command.

Add this to the .bash_profile file:

export GREP_OPTIONS='--color=always'
export GREP_COLOR='0;32'

@frohmen Thank you for sharing the solution - much appreciated! :]

| ~ @ Mikes-MacBook-Pro (mike)

| => which git

git is /usr/local/git/bin/git

git is /usr/local/bin/git

git is /usr/bin/git

| => git --version

xcrun: error: invalid active developer path (/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools), missing xcrun at: /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/xcrun

| => git --version

xcrun: error: invalid active developer path (/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools), missing xcrun at: /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/xcrun

| => git config -l

| =>

What is wrong “xcrun: error: invalid active developer path (/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools), missing xcrun at: /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/xcrun”, how do I fix it?

Found this xcode - Git is not working after macOS Update (xcrun: error: invalid active developer path (/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools) - Stack Overflow running it now

hey guys, I want to be sure I’m all correct here. This is ultimately the instructions

"

A black OS X Leopard Terminal theme that is actually readable

January 25, 2008

Unix, Command Line, OS X, Vim

Comments: 102

OS X Leopard was released with an updated Terminal application, which now has tabs, window groups, and many other new features. My excitement to replace the often slow iTerm was quickly extinguished as I realized that the new Terminal.app has some glaring problems:

• The first is the inability to set the title of the tab as you do in iTerm, gnome-terminal, etc. That one I can live with, as there are work-arounds.
  • The other major problem is the horrible black themes that come with it (bad and worse). Apple is one of those companies who pay very close attention to visual details such as these, so it’s surprising that they gave us such horrible choices.

So I decided to make a new theme, based on a subset of my popular TextMate theme IR_Black. The problem is the new Terminal app provides no way to set the ANSI colors; even though you can create your own themes (Settings), you can’t change the colors. Ciarán Walsh provides a great solution to this on his blog, which uses the also great SIMBL.

Install Theme

• For Lion: see this article
  • For Leopard: Install SIMBL and TerminalColors following the instructions on Ciarán Walsh’s blog. This is required for the color changes in my theme to work.
  • For Snow Leopard: Ciarán Walsh’s TerminalColors doesn’t work on Snow Leopard. Evan Phoenix fixed that in this github repo:http://github.com/evanphx/terminalcolours. Just use this file in place of Ciarán’s: TerminalColours-SL.tar.gz.
  • Download the theme file here.
  • Double click the IR_Black.terminal file, you downloaded, to install it.
  • Set it to be the default (if you want to always use these settings).

– A black OS X Leopard Terminal theme that is actually readable - art.through(code) "

as you can see Mojave isn’t on there. I want to be sure im doing this correct so if you would please give me instructions. Thank you

I got the GIT package installed and the IR_Black-OSX clone off GitHub. I have the package but I don’t have a clue what to do with it in order to get my .bash_profile looking like yours. I really want the colors because of the fact it fills as if im looking into a one demential thing.

@lac_ekim Do you still have issues with this?

07%20AM

I might be being really dense here, but how do you return to the command line after setting the aliases in VIM?

@kramer45 Do you still have issues with this?

You are right frogmen… So many things are missing in this tutorial. He didn’t explain clearly.