Chapter 6 - Build fails

We are aware of this and we are “putting the band back together” to work on the update.

Now that Android Studio and Flutter and Dart have seemed to have settled down a bit and they all seem to work without any WEIRD things happening that shouldn’t…THAT would be GREAT!!!

Show stopped. I would love to continue with flutter apprentice

My show is stopped as well, for now. I also want to complete this book. I’ll do the “London App Brewery Flutter Bootcamp” or a UDEMY class until they fix the code for this book. I hope they can get it done in short order. After all “they are wizards” at this stuff.

1 Like

This works @oscaralmgren.

I have spent some time and I got the starter code for chapter 6 working on both Android and iOS Simulators. Make sure you have SDK versions 29,30,31,32 installed for your Simulator devices first on Android Studio Bumblebee. I have the fixed STARTER code on my public github. If you want to clone the chapter 6 starter code from there, here it is.

Good luck, *Dave

Thanks Dave! where you able to stop the warnings?

Warning: Mapping new ns http://schemas.android.com/repository/android/common/02 to old ns http://schemas.android.com/repository/android/common/01

I haven’t tried your starter code for chapter 6, I’m on 5 still. I’ve been able to get the build working using @oscaralmgren suggestion. But I still have the warnings.

Oscar, anytime I’ve had the old ns warning it was due to an outdated ver of the Gradle versions. I’ll try to tell you what to do. Press shift twice to open the search window. open gradle-wrapper.properties file. look for the line that reads like —distribution/gradle-3.4-all.zip. or like that.
Change it to end like this. distribution/gradle-7.3-all.zip

do a shift shift again and look for build.gradle.android. and look for build:gradle:5.3…0. in the file and change it to end like build:gradle:7.2.0-alpha06

you are just updating whatever versions are in there now to the versions I show. Then in app/build.gradle.app. change compile version to 32. and look for the min and target compile versions as well and set them to 29 and 32. Make sure you download the SDK versions of your emulator device for SDK 29,30,31,32 . This should get rid of the “old ns” warnings.

If you are still having issues with chapter 5 let me know.

*Dave

Has there been any movement on getting the BAND back together to update the git code for this book? We are waiting patiently for some help here.

We are waiting the new version that they’ll presumably release during Google I/O in a few days.

Thank you for the follow-up feedback. I have been doing PYTHON and ANDROID - KOTLIN, while I wait for the updates. I’m sure many will appreciate the updated material so they can proceed through the course. I know I will.

Any update on “the updates?”

Thanks,

*Dave

We are currently testing the chapters against the newly released Flutter 3.

OK, Great and thanks.

Any updates on when this might be available?

Thanks,

*Dave

Are there any updates regarding this, or is it a dead subject? Many months have gone by without resolution… :disappointed:

@naplesdave

In the mean time you can check out the updated code here:

However the content and book will not be out till we publish the book. The write-up is currently being updated. Thanks for your patience :slight_smile:

New edition of the book is out now. Here’s the link https://www.raywenderlich.com/books/flutter-apprentice

@funkyboy Thanks, better late than never, right? And now Android Studio has been updated to DOLPHIN | 2021.3.1 as well. I have started another course in Android development since I was unsure when RW would produce a workable course in FLUTTER. So for now I’ll continue on with my Android / Kotlin studies and come back and re-visit this FLUTTER book again at a later time. Thanks for notifying me though.