Chapter 5: inner workings

Hey, there. I’m currently on chapter 5 and realized there is a lot going on ‘under the hood’: the app pushes info from some file, renders the card somewhere else e displays it in the screen explorer, for instance. I wonder whether at this stage I should really be looking at everything the app is NOT showing, or should I just stick with what the book is presenting as code to copy and paste. I thought maybe all the details about databases, JSON parsing and all that will show up later in the book. Thanks.

@helvecio said

I wonder whether at this stage I should really be looking at everything the app is NOT showing, or should I just stick with what the book is presenting as code to copy and paste.

Are you talking about what is happening in the framework or other files in the lib folder?

Each chapter builds on previous chapters. If you’re new to Flutter, I recommend following along.

Stef

It depends on your learning style. At any point you can stop and dive into the details of what you have already built. Or go on with the chapters (which gradually add more features to the app) and go deep on details later, when you have a better understanding of the subject matter.
And yes, JSON and databases will come in later chapters :slight_smile:

Hey, thanks for this. I will be on the lookout for the later chapters, and will certainly get back to chapter 5 to have all those concepts properly absorbed. I just finished chapter 5, it is clear that all the database info is sitting there so we can have something to build upon. But it is cool anyway to get in touch with futures and so on. Cheers.

Hi, thanks for checking in. I’m following from the beginning, it is a very nice book indeed. I just finished chapter 5, as I move along and learn about databases and JSON I’ll get back to the mock info to better understand how the DB was built/structured and the info pushed to ListView and GridView. Many thanks.

@funkyboy … Will futures and async also be covered in later chapters? Because that’s an area I’m really weak in and didn’t have a clue what was going on there.

You can check out the TOC and chapters introductions to have an idea of what’s coming next, but yes, futures and async will be in the database and Provider chapters.

@jefff9511 you can also have a look at the Getting Started with Flutter Getting Started With Flutter | raywenderlich.com article, it deals with futures and async on a very basic level. I haven’t finished reading yet, but it is quite a good one.