Chapter 17 - Attaching the mesh to the armature’ to work

Unity Games by Tutorials – Chapter 17.

Hi, try as I may I can’t get the section ‘Attaching the mesh to the armature’ to work. It keeps failing with the message ‘Bone Heat Weighting: failed to find solution for one or more bones’.
I’m using Blender 2.78 dated 24-02-2017.
I’ve tried unjoining the Main Body, but that didn’t help.
Any pointers / help would be appreciate.
Nick

Hi, I’ve overcome this problem by deleting the body and recreating it. But when I add the Pole Target to the tail and try to move it, all that happens is that the body rotates around the X-axis.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Nick

Hi Nick! Sorry for the delay, i’m glad you’ve resolved the problem now! Please feel free to keep asking any questions you might have and we’ll do our best to get a response to you in the future :bowing_man:

Thanks for the response Liam.

Any ideas about the Pole Target problem, please??

Regards,
Nick

ahhh sorry i missed that question! I cant but i’ve invited @weheartgames to the discussion who will be able to help out :blush:

Could you post your .blend file here so I can have a look at it?

Hi,
Sure I can send you my blender file. The attached zip, I hope, contains two blender files. The first after adding the IK section of the tutorial, page 449. Which work fine, as far as I can tell. The second after my attempt to add the Pole Target, page 450-451. In this case the body of the Scorpion just rotates when moving the Pole Target.

One thing that I noticed in on Page 449, step one it says to right-click, whereas in my case right-click did nothing, only left-click moved the 3D Cursor. also the same in page 450, step 1.

This is my first attempt to do any Animation in Blender, but have 50 years of using / programming computers.

Thanks & Regards,
Nick

Scorpion 01-Chapter17.zip (400.8 KB)

I’ll look at the .blend file shortly, but in the meantime, did you happen to skip the “Setting some defaults” section on page 384? That configures your mouse to work the way I describe in all three of the chapters. Might be where something went wrong…

Hi, Yes I DID skip the section “Setting some defaults” section as I would like to use the standard defaults, if possible. BTW that section is on page 396 of my copy of the book.

I’ve also tried recreating the Scorpion body from scratch, but still get the same problem.

Nick

Alright, I opened your .blend file and everything seems to be ok… I moved the tail up using the IK bone so that it was curled a bit. I think maybe the issue was that the tail was sticking straight out, so when you moved the pole target, it just twisted the tail. I’m not seeing what you’re describing, with the entire body rotating…

I’m attaching a GIF showing me opening your file, not making any changes other than moving the Tail IK bone and the Tail Pole bone, in Pose Mode. Are you getting different behaviour when you do the same thing?

ScreenFlow

Oops,
Ah, I was only selecting the Pole Tail Target. I didn’t realise that I needed to select both the IK Target and the Tail Bone and then move the objects around.

Thanks Very Much,
Nick

1 Like

Great! Yep, they both need to be animated individually. Animating the Tail Pole Target isn’t required to make the tail move, but it does help the animation feel more natural. o/

This topic was automatically closed after 166 days. New replies are no longer allowed.