Challenge: Extract Views | raywenderlich.com

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.raywenderlich.com/18176818-your-first-ios-and-swiftui-app-polishing-the-app/lessons/7
1 Like

At the 3:05 mark, where Ray is just starting to scroll up, you can see the two Structs, InstructionsView and SliderView.

Screen Shot 2021-06-10 at 1.23.14 AM

Why is it that in InstructionsView we reference the Binded variable “game” as just game on line 62, but for SliderView, we reference the Binded variable “sliderValue” as $sliderValue with a $(dollar sign)?

Good question! The difference is:

• In InstructionsView you are accessing the target property (variable) on game. To access a property you don’t need the $.
  • In SliderView you are passing a reference to sliderValue to another view, as a binding. To pass a binding as a reference you need the $.

I hope that helps!

1 Like

It does help.

Thank you!

Doing the tutorial on Xcode 12.5.1 and I notice the blue background of the button peeking around the sides of the white border. Is there a way to fix that?

Screen Shot 2021-08-17 at 9.19.46 AM

struct HitMeButton: View {
  @Binding var alertIsVisible: Bool
  var sliderValue: Double
  var game: Game

I think property sliderValue and game in HitMeButton extract view is not attach @.Binding.
Because alertIsVisible property changed in Button but the other property is not.
Is it okay?

For the extracted HitMeButton, is it a good practice to have the alertIsVisible boolean as a state for the ContentView or would it make more sense to encapsulate this in the HitMeButton as its own state, since its managing the Alert? I did this rather than treating alertIsVisible as a Binding var.

struct HitMeButton: View {
	@State private var alertIsVisible: Bool = false
	@Binding var sliderValue: Double
	@Binding var game: Game

var body: some View {
		Button(action: {
			alertIsVisible = true
		}) {
			Text("Hit me".uppercased())
				.bold()
				.font(.title3)
		}
		.padding(20.0)
		.background(
			ZStack {
				Color("ButtonColor")
				LinearGradient(gradient: Gradient(colors:[Color.white.opacity(0.3), Color.clear]), startPoint: .top, endPoint: .bottom)
			}
		)
		.foregroundColor(Color.white)
		.cornerRadius(21.0)
		.alert(isPresented: $alertIsVisible, content: {
			let roundedValue: Int = Int(sliderValue.rounded())

return Alert(title: Text("Hello there!"),
									   "You scored \(game.points(sliderValue: roundedValue)) points this round."),
					 dismissButton: .default(Text("Awesome")))
	})
	}
}