Group Group Group Group Group Group Group Group Group

Book Format in PDF

Hey guys, I am noticing that the book updates are only in ePub format and not in pdf which is what I use. Is this just an oversight or did something happen? I use kindle across my PC and Mac and obviously ePub is not supported so this would be a real show stopper for me…
Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Folks who buy books individually now have two ways they can read our books: using the ePub file format (viewable on Mac with iBooks or many other ePub readers), or via our website’s online book reader (example book here). We think the book reading experience between ePub and our online book reader is pretty nice and solves most of the use cases.

I encourage you to give our new online book reader a try with your book. I’ve been using it myself to read a bunch of the books and it’s now my preferred way to read our books - you might like it!

Ok thanks, yeah not a fan of the online readers, ( just personal preference ) and standardized on MOBI years ago to make sure I could access all my books from my Windows and Macs. I’ll see if there is some way to convert them since it is a showstopper for me.

Thanks for getting back to me.

4 Likes

I have to agree with pavelar. PDF has always been my choice of format, to the point that I won’t purchase technical content that isn’t available in PDF. Apart from being PDF being true multi-platform, Preview is very mature and feature rich while Apple’s ePub reader is focused on reading novels rather than technical books and papers. I only use MacOS Books for managing my library.

The online book reader here is probably the slickest online reader I’ve seen, but I don’t like being beholden to a site for content I’ve purchased outright. I find browser readers are less pleasant under some conditions such as skimming books or browser crashes, searching, site uniqueness, etc. They are also incompatible with things like globals searches of my computer or library for specific content. Unfortunately it’s akin to need to check multiple streaming services when you want to watch a specific movie - everything becomes it’s own walled garden. Hence they are conducive to situations where someone doesn’t have an extensive library from a variety of places.

5 Likes

I don’t get it. Is it a problem for you to make PDF version as it used to be for years? What kind of technical / business problem is that?

I don’t like to use your (or any other) online reader. Reading in Apple Books is almost convenient, but only for regular text.

I have all “professional books” in iOS/Swift category here. You’ve decided to make all-in-one subscription, so I guess any sale events will be focused on the subscriptions only. No books on sale anymore. We all need to live from something, that’s fine. So right now I know I will need to spend $74 for each additional book (23% VAT in Poland) and yeah… I can eventually live with that. But despite that, why don’t you ask people about their preferences? Some of us love your brand new online reader, some don’t.

So, please rethink your decision about PDF format, unless there is some very important business reason behind that decision, then well… another thing I will need to get used to…

2 Likes