Group Group Group Group Group Group Group Group Group

Beginning Table Views · Using Sections | Ray Wenderlich

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.raywenderlich.com/5995-beginning-table-views/lessons/49

Brian, faithfully following your tutorial, this error shows up:

I have copied the viewDidLoad from your finished Xcode file were the error is not showing.
Any suggestions?
Tom

Sorry, solved at 05:22 in the video😌.

Hi Tom - quick question, what version of Xcode are you using?

Brian: Version 10.0 beta 6 (10L232m).

Hi Tom - Sorry that I missed your response notification. In ChecklistItem, did you add an @objc before the text property? You need to expose the property in objective c. Give that a shot and let me know how it works out. Thanks!

@bdmoakley I missed some further explanation of the #selector syntax. I can’t remember that it has been explained before in the iOS and Swift for Beginners path. (I can imagine what it does but some more details would be really great.)

@hettiger You can read more about selectors here:

I hope it helps!

It would be nice to have this #selector syntax explained in reference to this particular code we are writing. It kind of just pops out of nowhere, and it is assumed we all know what we’re talking about. For example, where is this ‘getter’ coming from? How would I know to type ‘getter’ in the first place? Things have been going well but this section is quite confusing as it lacks clear explanation as to where things are coming from, and the tone changes to assuming a beginner even knows what things like ‘collation’ mean. I’ve watched this three times now, and I just don’t feel like I’m truly learning what is happening in this video. Just copying the code on screen, but not understanding where it comes from, what exactly it references, or how I would even get to this solution on my own.

I’ve been really enjoying the course, but I bring this to attention as it may be worth another look for future releases.

I’ll make sure to pass on the note. Often times, when developing courses, it’s easy to take for granted things like this.