Beginning Android Layouts - Part 2: Building the | Ray Wenderlich

Download the starter app and build in in Android Studio, and take a peek at the included starter layout files.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.raywenderlich.com/4701-beginning-android-layouts/lessons/2

Looks like there may be an issue with retrieving the data. I downloaded and ran the starter app - no issues, but when I tap the button to retrieve the list of github team members, nothing happens.

Logcat reports some sort of error claiming ā€˜Not supplying enough data to HALā€¦ā€™

Thanks for the comment, tomwildcat. Iā€™ve just downloaded the starter app and was able to run it and download team members without issue. Iā€™m using Android Studio 3.1.2 but left the gradle plugin at 3.0.1.

This S/O post indicates the problem youā€™re seeing may be due to the use of Kotlin Android Extensions in the app:

Make sure this import is at the top of TeamMembersActivity:

import kotlinx.android.synthetic.main.activity_team_members.*

Iā€™ve found that these types of issues with Kotlin Android Extensions are usually fixed by cleaning the project using Build > Clean Project.

Let me know if that helps you get around this issue.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the reply!

Once I saw that it worked for you, my suspicions aroseā€¦ Sure enough, for some reason, using a mediocre hot-spot from my cell phone apparently does not provide a strong enough connection to complete the data call. Iā€™m not entirely sure why, but once I hit my wifi back home, it works just fine. No issues.

Looks like it was entirely on me; the app is fine! Thanks again. :slight_smile:

The starter project seems to be out of date. I am getting this build error:
ERROR: The Android Gradle plugin supports only Kotlin Gradle plugin version 1.3.10 and higher.
The following dependencies do not satisfy the required version:
root project ā€˜startā€™ ā†’ org.jetbrains.kotlin:kotlin-gradle-plugin:1.2.30
Affected Modules: app

Hi @thecakeissam! Weā€™ll be updating the sample code for this course soon, but in the meantime, you can change the Kotlin version in the root project build.gradle file, and then resync your project Gradle files (Android Studio will prompt you to do that after you edit the file). Let me know id that addresses the issue youā€™re seeing. Thanks!

Hey, I am not able to download the starter app. I dont know why? It fails every time when i try to download the resources.

Hi @divyapandey thanks for the comment! I just tried downloading the materials for this video using the ā€œDownload Materialsā€ button, and the zip file downloaded without any issues. The project then opened successfully in Android Studio 3.5. What kind of issues do you see when you try to download the file?

I have downloaded the starter app. But it fails to open.
It gives this build error: The Android Gradle plugin supports only Kotlin Gradle plugin version 1.3.10 and higher.
The following dependencies do not satisfy the required version:
root project ā€˜startā€™ ā†’ org.jetbrains.kotlin:kotlin-gradle-plugin:1.2.30
Affected Modules: app

@macsimus Can you please help with this when you get a chance? Thank you - much appreciated! :]

Hi @divyapandey. I think you have two options here. First re-download the files. Then either:

1. When Android Studio prompts you to update the Android Gradle Plugin for the project, say No, and use the version in the project, or,
  2. Say yes, which it seems like you did when you first opened the project, and then change the Kotlin version in the root build.gradle file to 1.3.10 or above, ideally matching the version of the Kotlin version you have installed in Android Studio.

I hope that helps and thanks again!

Iā€™m getting really irritated that I am PAYING for out of date content that I have to figure out how to fix before I can start the lesson.
45 minutes wasted on trying to figure this outā€¦ AS A BEGINNER TAKING A BEGINNER COURSE!!

ā€œERROR: Failed to resolve: org.jetbrains.kotlin:kotlin-stdlib-jre7:1.3.10ā€

I think Iā€™m going to need a refund.

Hi @devjmichealmurray! Sorry to hear youā€™re having an issue with the course. This course is in the process of being updated at this time.

In the meantime, the particular error youā€™re seeing can be resolved by changing that line in the build.gradle file so that jre becomes jdk, or:

org.jetbrains.kotlin:kotlin-stdlib-jdk7:1.3.10

Also, the 1.3.10 can be changed to match the version of the Kotlin plugin that youā€™ve installed in Android Studio.

Please let us know if you have more questions. Thank you!

This issue is that this site is charging for information that is not kept up to date. It would be understandable if it were a free course, but for me to spend my limited study time figuring out an issue, instead of actually studying is irritating and NOT what I am paying for.
I shouldnā€™t be the one fixing this. You guys should adjust your course material download or stop charging.