Kodeco Forums

Augmented Reality and ARKit Tutorial

Learn how to work with augmented reality in this SpriteKit and ARKit tutorial!

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.raywenderlich.com/378-augmented-reality-and-arkit-tutorial
1 Like

I have a question regarding ARFrame.camera object. If matrix_float4x4 cam = [frame.camera transform], is camera forward vector(look at vector) is (cam.m02, cam.m12. cam.m22)?

I think there may be a bug in this tutorial. Even when I download the final project, the nodes move with the camera, making it impossible to “scoop” the bugspray and kill the firebug. Am I missing something? I would like to know how to have these anchors stay in place as opposed to moving with me wherever I go.

Hi @dchilds64

The anchor node positions are constantly re-calibrated. I find that if I start the game with my phone at right angles to the floor and stay still for a moment, the nodes stay in place. If you start the game with the phone pointed towards the floor or with the phone at a low height, the circle of the game is changed - in that case the nodes and bugspray may be positioned below the floor.

Thanks for your reply! What’s weird is I just installed the app on two different devices, and it works perfectly on my iPhone 7 plus, but not on my iPhone 8 plus. On my 8 the nodes move with the camera. I installed the app from the same build at almost the exact same time.

That is weird and disturbing - unfortunately I don’t have an iPhone 8 to test it with. Perhaps this is the final nudge to go and get one :smiley:

I have the exact same problem as you and I cannot pick the bug spray :frowning:

@caroline Can you please help with this when you get a chance? Thank you - much appreciated! :]

@rolland - is this on the iPhone 8 plus? Do you have another device to see if it is working? Which iOS version? There is a new beta which has vertical tracking too but I haven’t tried it yet

This tutorial is more than six months old so questions are no longer supported at the moment for it. Thank you!