Kodeco Forums

AudioKit Tutorial: Getting Started

Learn the basic physics of sound and computer audio on a fun and gentle journey and experiment with sound synthesis and sampling in this AudioKit Tutorial.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.raywenderlich.com/835-audiokit-tutorial-getting-started
3 Likes

Thanks for the great tutorial.
Although personally I always prefer to use Apple’s library frameworks, there seem to be no way to handle midi.

There is also a big lack of audio tutorials, while I’m sure many people would like to create their own piano interface, or games using midi tracks … Hope to see more in the future.

1 Like

Love this tutorial, I would love to see a RW Book on more in-depth audio. I miss the days of 8 Bit computers of using ADSR Envelopes and tone generators and this framework hits the spot. Though understanding more on generating tones and manipulating audio on the fly would be a useful addition and hard to come by in one easy reference. Many Thanks :slight_smile:

Hi, great tutorial thanks.

Only a question, there is possible generate an output for a channel left and right separately?

Greetings

I have ’plumbing’ problems trying to use AudioKit-3.4.2 with playground. After the step where I drag AudioKit-3.4.1/AudioKit/iOS/AudioKit For iOS.xcodeproj using the finder no project file appeared and the Navigator view in Xcode still looks the way it did before. I tried closing Xcode before dragging and then reopening Xcode. But it made no difference. Maybe I misunderstood what you meant by drag the Xcode project … into the root of your workspace. The diagram appears to show where to find it not where to move it. I also tried linking AudioKit with an Xcode project using Linked Frameworks and Libraries but it gives the same Swift compiler error - No such module ‘AudioKit’. Is there an alternative way I can get started using AudioKit ? Thanks in anticipation.

I started off and it was going all very well, then I tried to compile AudioKit. Amongst a few latest-version-of-Swift things which I managed to patch, I couldn’t get any further because AudioKit-Swift.h couldn’t be found.

Am I right to be puzzled, or have I done something wrong?

Yes, it is possible to generate different outputs to the left and right channel. Take a look at the AKMixer, the initialiser takes a couple of different channels:

AKMixer(leftPan, rightPan)

This allows you to specify completely different nodes as inputs for each.

Sorry you’re having problems - there was an issues with AudioKit 3.4.2, I’ve updated the tutorial to use AudioKit 3.5. Please try again and let me know how it goes?

Working fine now. Thank you.

That’s great news, thanks for letting me know.

@colineberhardt using AKMIxPanel is working, thank you so much.

@jaimeyesidleon that’s great news. If you come up with something cool, please do share!

Great tutorial! My interest in electronic music goes back to the 1960s, so the history was fascinating.
I agree with other commenters that it would be great to have an extensive iOS audio tutorial series/book/reference, as this information is hard to find with Google Search. Apple’s own WWDC talks on audio make it clear that Swift has not completely superseded all of the audio functions found in Obj-C and C++ code in Apple’s grand scheme of iOS audio. I hope to see Swift get the full set of audio functions currently found in Obj-C and C++, as I only know Swift. Your tutorial is crystal clear and very informative. I encourage you to dive deeper into Swift/iOS audio in future tutorials. Thanks!

Excellent Guide! I can understand what AudioKit is.
I am building voice change based on this tutorial and AudioKit reference now. Btw, I don’t know what the important factors are. Could you please share with me? If so, I will appreciate it with great.
Thanks a lot.

I am interested in connecting AKKeyboard with AKMIDI. Does anyone know how to do it?

This tutorial is more than six months old so questions are no longer supported at the moment for it. We will update it as soon as possible. Thank you! :]