Android Networking With Kotlin Tutorial: Getting Started | raywenderlich.com

In this tutorial, you’ll get started with Android networking by creating a simple app to retrieve and display a list of GitHub repositories.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.raywenderlich.com/6994782-android-networking-with-kotlin-tutorial-getting-started

Quick question.
Is not Anko deprecated library?. it worth to show a tutorial using this library at all?

Hi David, while Anko is now deprecated, it’s not the focus of this tutorial. Later we get rid of it, anyway. Anko just provided a concise way of writing asynchronous tasks.

Hi, after the step " Using Retrofit to Handle Requests and Responses", I got the error:

java.lang.BootstrapMethodError: Exception from call site #4 bootstrap method

From what I read online, we should add the following code to the build.gradle (Module: starter-app) in the android {} block:

compileOptions {
targetCompatibility = “8”
sourceCompatibility = “8”
}

It works after adding this.

@thierryhenry Thank you for sharing your solution - much appreciated!

Great tutorial!! I learnt heaps.
This was my first Android tutorial (am iOS Dev) so I had a lot of problems with it at each step. Lots of googling and SO and I got through it.

However in the end neither the starter or the finished project displays the avatars and I’m not sure how to fix it.

Also the last line of code shown is missing the “r” in Avatar
Picasso.get().load(repo.owner.avataUrl).into(itemView.icon)