Kodeco Forums

Android ListView Tutorial

How many times have you needed an app to display a group of related items in a list? How about all the time. :] Displaying a specific list is essential to the function of almost any app that queries a set of data and returns a list of results, so many apps need to do […]

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.raywenderlich.com/1175-android-listview-tutorial

Huh?

What do you mean? What is your question?

Hey, thanks for the tutorial.

I had good time to tried the code but, something wrong with Picasso where it was not being compiled.

So by using updated version at graddle now it works.

'compile 'com.squareup.picasso:picasso:2.5.2'

So, I have to ask: Why are you doing a tutorial on ListView? Google currently recommends using RecyclerView

@kevindmoore We have a GridView tutorial as well as a RecyclerView to be released soon actually. We just think its nice to understand the elements and ideas that the RecyclerView is built on as a lot of principles are carried over.

For newbies, I would not even discuss ListView. It would just confuse them. RecyclerView uses best practices and is the place to start.

This article with the starter project is the best practice I have ever read since i have spent many time on reading the articles on Internet. Recommend reading the comment lines in RecipeAdapter.java where’s located at completed project sample.

p.s. Sometimes i am assigned to maintain some app with ListView but not RecyclerView, working as a team sometimes you can’t change the ListView to RecyclerView as you want, this article helps understand how the json data work with ListView adapter. Thank you so much for your sharing.

great article. neat and clean explanation :slight_smile: loved it

thanks for sharing…

Sincerely, thanks for the information and the positive vibe. Keep up the great work.

Awesome tutorial. Thanks for putting it together.

what is the best way to handle image sizes inside the list views?,
to support all devices?

This tutorial is more than six months old, so questions are no longer supported at the moment for it. We will update it as soon as possible. Thank you! :]