A-arrrgh! I wanna scream at Apple and Xcode 8 and Swift 3 and Sierra!

I’m kidding, of course, but I am so close to finishing an update to one of my apps and now Swift 3 and Xcode 8 are staring me smack in da face. :cop:

So - the questions are -

(1) Do I just continue with what I am doing and submit my app as is? or

(2) Do I upgrade to Xcode 8 and Swift 3 and start again, in a manner of speaking?

From reading about all the changes in Swift 3, I know that a LOT of my code is going to break and will take time (and patience) to fix. Quite honestly, I do have the time, but am I just kickin’ the can down the road by not upgrading my app(s) with the latest and the greatest?

(I’ve probably just mentally answered my own question, but just when I was doing so well, …:weary:)

I have downloaded Xcode 8.4 (beta) and when I launched it on one of my apps all I saw was big, fat red errors!! I quickly reverted back to my trusty Xc v7.3.1 version.

Now, if iOS 10 by Tutorials was ready to go I might be feeling a lot braver about this.

Just saying, …

1 Like

Hi… @chicago

I would like suggest that if your app is ready to upload on store then, don’t wait, just upload it (with Xcode 7.3.1 and iOS 9). Because I think that Xcode 8 and iOS 10 not stable as of now. and also if you go through them then there will be lots of changes you have to do.

If you want to update your app with latest version then after 2-3 months you can update and upload new version to the store. Apple provides us all kind of facilities so just use them and enjoy… :blush: :thumbsup:

Greetings again Vimi,

What you have suggested is what I have decided to do. I will upgrade to the latest versions of Xcode and so on in the very near future, but I would much prefer to get my app upgrade approved and back in the app store with the versions of XC and Swift that I am currently using.

It has taken me some time to convert my app from obj-C to Swift, and I will deal with Swift 3 in the next upgrade. iOS development is a very fluid environment and we just have to ‘go with the flow’, as they say.

Thanks for the pat on the head.:slight_smile:

You probably know this but you can also use Xcode 8 with Swift 2.3.

You do this by adding the following to your Build Settings:

Actually, I was not aware of that Build Settings tweak.

I recently re-watched the Apple Swift video from WWDC 16 and the speaker mentioned Xcode 8 will allow the migration from Swift 2.2 to either Swift 2.3 or Swift 3. This is probably very similar to what you noted.

That video can be seen here. The speaker’s comment on this can be see at ‘-02.3’ of the video which is very close to the end of the video.

Thanks for your post.